Nothin’ But a Humbug
From Rees Baldwin, Barry Dock, Wales
Sources: The James Madison Carpenter Collection AFC 1972/001 Cylinder 037 05:25; Disc sides 079 02:14, 391 04:44, 392 00:09
MS pp. 00123, 09132 (verses 1-3, additional verses from other shanties and worksongs).
Rees Baldwin was an incredible singer. He sang wonderful, unusual songs for Carpenter and this is a fine example.
- You’re nothin’ but a humbug.
So they say, so they say.
You’re nothin’ but a humbug.
That’s all I know!
- Catfish grow on a huckleberry vine.
Catfish grow on a huckleberry vine.
- Dandy Jim from South Carolina,
He’s come home to marry Dinah.
- Never seen the like since I been born,
Sailor on the fife rail crackin’ out corn.
- One day the blackbird said to the crow
Why do you love your farmer so?
- That’s my trade since Adam was born
Scratchin’ and a diggin’ up the farmers corn.
- Said the blackbird to the crow
Don’t tell those pretty girls all I know.
- High and dry we’ll hoist her high
Hoist her high for a bulgine pie.