From J.S. Scott, London, England
Sources: The James Madison Carpenter Collection AFC 1972/001 Cylinder 041 00:00; Disc sides 087 01:12, 398 00:00; MS pp. 03527-03528, 09018
- Down below we’re bound to go
Down below oh ho, ho
Down below can’t you hear me blow
Hoist her up from down below.
- Rosalee she had promised me
For to marry me when I come home from sea.
- Rosalee she’s sweet and she’s tall
She’s tiny boots and a parasol
- I know you Eliza
What ya gonna do, me Liza honey?
- I was drunk last night and drunk befo
But I’m damned if I’m gona get drunk any mo.
- I couldn’t get a chance for to play the banjo.
I couldn’t get a chance for to play the banjo.
- Oh the turkey buzzards and they fly so high
And they flap their wings, boys, beneath the sky.
- Captain, Captain you told me so
Around Cape Horn we are bound for to go.
- And I never see de like since I been born
Oh we’ll all go a-swimmin’ around Cape Horn.
- I’ll tell you the truth and I’ll tell you no lies
Oh the turkey buzzards and they fly so high.
- But when I get on-a yonder shore
I ain’t a-goin’ round Cape Horn any more.